- 2009/1/2: Added Magic Candle 1 manual in OpenDocument format from Tony and a link to a Japanese PC-98 port.
- 2004/7/19: Added overworld maps, FAQs, and Magic Candle 2 maps by
- 2003/6/4: Added Keys of Maramon
cheat by Andrew Schultz.
- 2003/3/1: Added MC1 cheat
- 2003/1/30: Added link to MC1 maps by
- 2003/1/21: Added MC3
walkthough by Marc Randall
- 2002/5/13: Added MC2
walkthrough from Beng Hai.
- 2001/7/14: Added MC1 hintbook from Nathan and logo.
- 2001/6/3: Added Keys to Maramon box art, more Underdogs links.
- 2001/6/2: I finally finished MC1!
- 2001/4/3: Added Bloodstone box scans.
- 2000/12/21: Added Bloodstone link to Underdogs.
- 2000/8/6: Added box art scans of MC1, MC2, and MC3, and CD-ROM
art scans of The Keys to Maramon.
Welcome to my small online shrine dedicated to the Magic Candle
games (primarily the classic Magic Candle 1) published by Mindcraft Software. The Magic Candle is an epic computer role-playing game (RPG) especially detailed for its time (1989). Exceptional characteristics of the title include:
- A large, dangerous world to explore.
- A detailed main quest with many interesting side quests.
- A skill based system where characters learn by doing and/or by
- Magical plants that you can pick and use, then grow again later.
- The ability to separate the party into groups and play a group
while other groups are busy doing things like resting, training,
memorizing spells, and earning gold in town.
- Time is important, and things take time to do.
- Many towns, and many NPCs to converse with.
- Uses tile-based art to cleverly represent overhead, isometric,
and side perspectives.
Obtaining The Magic Candle Games
The Magic Candle games can be very difficult to obtain since they have
not been published in a very long time (I classify them as
suggest the following strategies for finding them:
- Online auctions and classifieds
- Look in and ask for them in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
- Check used game stores
- Any local stores
- Other used game stores'
- Last resort: Check the The Underdogs site.
I was unable to contact Mindcraft or Ali
Atabek to ask for permission to distribute the game files.
could put me in touch with Ali, or if Ali or any other current
holders could contact me to
me permission (or deny me permission) to distribute the game files I
greatly appreciate it.
The Magic Candle, Keys of Maramon, and Bloodstone are trademarks of
Mindcraft Software. The
following files are copyrighted by Mindcraft Software or the original
Files and Links
The Magic Candle
- The original! A classic!
- Published in 1989
The Keys to Maramon
- A simple RPG set after MC1
- Published in 1990
The Magic Candle 2
- Published in 1990
The Magic Candle 3
- Published in 1992
- A prequel to MC1 using the MC3 engine
- Published in 1993
Jason M. Spangler,